VisArts Emerging Curator Program
The VisArts Emerging Curator Program offers a unique opportunity for an emerging curator to work with an experienced mentoring curator to develop and present an exhibition and to assist in the presentation of the mentor’s exhibition. In an effort to develop expanded education programming/enhanced visitor experiences, the Emerging Curator and the Mentoring Curator focus on developing tools, templates, technological enhancements and funding strategies to support public programming that promotes social interaction, creative exchange and audience engagement. VisArts provides the Emerging Curator with an exhibition budget of $10,000. Additional funding and staff support for printing, promotions, and execution of exhibition programming is available. The program is one year and begins every January. The selection panel includes the VisArts Curators, Artist Advisory Council, and the 2019 Mentoring Curator.
Curatorial Collaboration: During the yearlong program, the Curatorial team (Mentor Curator and Emerging Curator) focus on:
· Developing a cohesive and compelling exhibition proposal;
· Researching skills and standards of “best” and “current” curatorial practice;
· Communicating with artists and lending institutions – developing contracts and loan information, collecting images and organizing artist/image information with “best practice” standards;
· Conducting curatorial research and developing writing skills for catalogs and other printed and online materials using language that is clear and comprehensible for art experts and the general public;
· Researching and developing a plan for incorporating technology upgrades to gallery programming through website enhancements, use of iPads and apps, and production of video and audio materials;
· Designing and implementing educational exhibition programming and outreach activities that engage artists, curators and public audience of all ages;
· Developing budgets for executing exhibitions and exhibition programming;
· Developing sponsorship/fundraising initiatives to support the exhibition programming;
· Overseeing exhibition design and installation; and,
· Developing marketing and public relations materials – press releases, website presence, social networking and print media supporting the exhibition.
The VisArts Emerging Curator Program provides emerging curators with practical, hands-on experience at a community arts organization. It is designed to support diverse exhibitions presenting a broad spectrum of ideas and curatorial approaches. In addition, it enhances the VisArts exhibition experience by developing educational opportunities, public programming and opportunities for community engagement through expanded use of interactive interpretive media in its gallery program.
Application: Applicants do not need to have a fully realized curatorial proposal. This will be developed with the support and guidance of the mentoring curator and the VisArts Gallery Department.