Gallery Volunteer Coordinator
The VisArts Gallery Volunteer Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the VisArts’ Gallery Volunteer Program. The Volunteer Coordinator will model best practices and develop strong working relationships with volunteers and VisArts staff with the goal of sustaining and growing a high-quality volunteer program that promotes transformative/positive visitor services and experiences.
Some duties and responsibilities include:
- Recruit, train, schedule, and mentor volunteers
- Maintain volunteer records and visitor records
- Plan gallery tours for volunteers at opening receptions and as needed
- Site supervision of galleries on Friday 5 – 8 PM and weekends 12 – 4 PM including replacement of gallery cards, turn on/off lights and technology as needed, clean as needed, and purchase of artwork
- Organize volunteers for service at gallery receptions
- Work with Gallery Director and Docent Coordinator to implement goals and outcomes for gallery visitor services and experiences
- Work with Gallery Director to maintain and improve quality of gallery visitor services and experiences through implementation of reflective practices and effective evaluation systems
Minimum Education: B.A. / B.S. / Undergraduate
Preferred Experience: 1 – 2 years
Compensation: Part-time, $17/hour
Gallery Volunteers are needed for daytime, evening and weekend shifts during Gallery Hours: Wednesday & Thursday 12 – 4 PM, Friday 12 – 8 PM, and Saturday & Sunday 12 – 4 PM and for Special Events. Gallery Volunteers receive training and earn tuition credit toward taking art classes at VisArts, or High School Students may earn volunteer service SSL approved hours.
Volunteers must complete a 60 min orientation before they begin volunteering.
After applying online, an email will be sent to you with additional information about orientations.
Gallery Guides volunteer to lead tours and have casual conversations with visitors about the artwork in our four galleries and seven artist studios. Gallery guides commit to a regular two-hour shift every week for a period of about three to four months, with the potential for extension. Potential volunteers must apply and complete three training sessions before giving tours. Applications are open for the spring, summer, and fall semesters. This is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Wednesday & Thursday: 12 – 4 PM
Friday: 12 – 8 PM
Saturday & Sunday: 12 – 4 PM
About VisArts: Located in the heart of Rockville, Maryland, VisArts is a hub for the visual arts that engages nearly 30,000 visitors annually through gallery exhibitions, education programs, a studio artist program, and events. Founded in 1987, VisArts is committed to a mission of transforming individuals and communities through the visual arts.