VisArts Call for Gallery Guide Applications, Fall 2019
For Fall 2019, VisArts is seeking volunteer gallery guides to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Gallery guides will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and interpreting and analyzing contemporary art. Additionally, gallery guides will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies during gallery tours. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, meet gallery staff, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has seven artist studios, four art galleries, and additional art spaces and programs dedicated to contemporary art. Our exhibitions rotate every 6-8 weeks and are frequently reviewed in the Washington Post! Enjoy excellent contemporary art without having to go to Washington, DC!
We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line. The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Application Deadline: Sunday, July 28 at 11:59 PM
Gallery guide responsibilities include:
- Volunteering for at least one two-hour shift per week
- Attend three training sessions in August (see dates below)
- Attend three monthly meetings between September and December
- Lead tours of the galleries and artist studio spaces
- Engage in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitor the galleries
- Independently research the rotating exhibitions and studio artists
- Commit to at least one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- Prior experience with art or art history
- If you do not have an art background, prior experience in public speaking
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
- July 28: Applications are due
- August 4, 10, and 11: In-person interviews on weekends
- August 11: Notice of acceptance
- August 18, 24, 25: Three weekend training sessions, 11 AM – 12:30 PM
- August 28 – December 22: Duration of the session
- Monthly Meetings will be based on majority gallery guide availability
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out an application form (below), and provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, each to be submitted with the form.
To complete the application form, click on the “GALLERY GUIDE APPLICATION” button, below.
For questions, e-mail VisArtsGalleryTours@gmail.com
Upcoming Spring 2020 Application Dates
- September 30: Applications open
- November 10: Applications are due
- January 4 – May 31: Duration of the session