VisArts presents NextGen 7.0, a juried group exhibition that showcases next generation aspiring artists 17 to 27 years of age from the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) area. The annual exhibition offers young artists, who have little to no exhibition record, the opportunity to bring their work to a wider audience.
The exhibition is planned and realized by a dedicated team of gallery interns and volunteers with mentorship from the VisArts gallery staff. In its seventh iteration, the NextGen exhibition continues to impress and inspire. A rising generation is hard at work making powerful, thoughtful, and excellent artwork, says Susan Main, Gallery Director and Curator at VisArts. Behind every aspect of this exhibition is a passionate team of interns committed to bringing the work of promising artists into the light of the community.
This year the jurors are:
Follow these links to:
Visit the Virtual Exhibition
Watch Virtual Artist Talks
Watch the Virtual Reception
**Applications for NextGen 7.0 are Currently Closed**
Required Application Materials:
– Application Form
– High Res images with captions, for up to 5 works of art – Film and video pieces are welcome: 2 minutes of video, film, sound or performance documentation = one work. Up to 10 minutes total. Videos must be in .mp4 or .mov file format.
– Images must be in .jpg, .tiff, .png, or .gif file format. Minimum image resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
– Artist Statement (250 Word Maximum)
– Artist Bio (150 Word Maximum)
– Resume/ CV
– Application Fee ($10.00) – online application will require payment by credit card or PayPal. Financial assistance available upon a need basis. Contact email@example.com for more information.
It can be intimidating to create an artist résumé with little or no experience, but a great résumé is one that is clear, organized and simple. Experiences you can include may be from exhibiting in student art shows, to assisting at camps or even teaching. Here are a great number of resources to help you create a competitive application and to develop your professional practices as an artist:
Artist statement and artist biography
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
For information on Exhibition and Sale of Artwork
Guidelines for presenting works in digital format
– Apply Online : Complete the online application through submittable.com
– Drop Off Accepted Artwork: This years exhibition is virtual, drop off is only required in the event that an artwork sells.
– Questions: Please send any questions via email with “VisArts NextGen 7.0 Open Call” in the subject line to Frank McCauley, Assistant Curator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Fee: $10.00
Please send any questions via email with “VisArts NextGen 7.0 Open Call” in the subject line to Frank McCauley, Exhibitions Coordinator, at email@example.com