In this three-week workshop, students will be introduced to the fundamentals of oil painting by working on a still-life. The arrangement will be made up of a variety of items to provide opportunities to represent various forms, textures, and surfaces with paint. Color and composition will be emphasized. Materials are not included. If desired, materials may be purchased from VisArts and will be on hand at the first class. Or materials may be purchased at any good art supply store.
Material List (Either purchase from VisArts or bring to first day of class
38 ml tubes, please buy at least student grade, no scholastic level paint.
- Cadmium yellow, Cadmium orange, Cadmium red, Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine purple (or violet),Cobalt blue, Cerulean blue, Pthalo green, Mars black, Titanium white,
Brushes are important and you need to buy at least student grade brushes, no scholastic or craft brushes.
- Natural bristle brushes: #2 filbert, #4 filbert, #8 flat, #12 flat, #2 round
- Soft watercolor brushes: #4 round, #6 round
- Wooden Palette and Knives Set
- Odorless mineral spirits (You must make sure it is odorless.)
- Linseed oil or gel
- “Silicoil” spring jar (for mineral spirits) (This is mandatory as you can not clean brushes in VisArts sinks)
- Stretched canvas or canvas board. Suggested two canvas boards and two stretched canvas.