For more than a century, painters have used photography to assist them in painting the landscape. In this 3-week class, students will use photographs as reference material in creating a landscape painting(s). Emphasis will be placed on interpreting and enhancing the image while creating vibrant, lively effects. Bring photos (or various photo options) on the first day of class. Materials are not included. If desired, materials may be purchased from VisArts and will be on hand at the first class. Or materials may be purchased at any good art supply store.
Material List (Either purchase from VisArts or bring to first day of class
38 ml tubes, please buy at least student grade, no scholastic level paint.
- Cadmium yellow, Cadmium orange, Cadmium red, Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine purple (or violet),Cobalt blue, Cerulean blue, Pthalo green, Mars black, Titanium white,
Brushes are important and you need to buy at least student grade brushes, no scholastic or craft brushes.
- Natural bristle brushes: #2 filbert, #4 filbert, #8 flat, #12 flat, #2 round
- Soft watercolor brushes: #4 round, #6 round
- Wooden Palette and Knives Set
- Odorless mineral spirits (You must make sure it is odorless.)
- Linseed oil or gel
- “Silicoil” spring jar (for mineral spirits) (This is mandatory as you can not clean brushes in VisArts sinks)
- Stretched canvas or canvas board. Suggested two canvas boards and two stretched canvas.