What does copyright protect and secure in the visual arts? How does the law affect you as an artist
Empower yourself by exploring:
- Artists’ right of ownership and reproduction of their art
- What’s considered Fair Use
- Rights of attribution, publicity and privacy
- Federal laws affecting artists
- Terms in gallery contracts and other agreements that artists typically face
- Negotiating strategies
- How artists can prepare themselves to achieve the results that best further their art practice
Lawyer John Wierzbicki will provide practical examples and make it applicable to artists regardless of discipline or medium, including visual, performance, and writers.
John Wierzbicki is a California lawyer based in Rochester, NY and San Francisco, CA. For nearly a decade, he led the author contract and relationship team at Thomson Reuters’ legal publishing division. He conducts workshops for artists on artist’s rights, artistic contracts, and negotiating, preferring that to training lawyers. He likes to point out that the first contract in human history is the rainbow.