In times of uncertainty, creating art can offer a respite from our daily anxieties. In these virtual courses, participants will explore the relationship between art and emotional well-being through the creation of mixed-media collages. Classes will begin will guided meditation. Participants will receive instructions to help them recognize and explore their creative and emotional energies. Each session will focus on a different theme in healing through art – imagining our whole selves, visualizing and containing anxiety.
All artistic skill levels and welcome in this self-care and creative practices class. Most of these materials can be found at home. If you do not have something, don’t worry! We’ll find creative alternative and the instructor will guide you through choices you may have available.
- A surface to collage on (this can be any surface that can withstand glue, such as: cardstock, construction paper, acrylic paper, canvas paper, or drawing paper)
- Magazines for collage (example: National Geographic, fashion magazines)
- Other scrap paper (copy paper, old collage paper, scraps of wall paper, old books, etc)
- Gel medium (Mod Podge and Elmer’s glue or glue sticks will work)
- Paint brushes or foam brushes
- Water cup
- Any of the following: markers (any color/thickness), Sharpies (any color/thickness), #2 pencils, pens, crayons, oil sticks, oil pastels (you do not need to have full packs; just one or two of each will be fine. If you do not have them, no need to purchase)
- Acrylic or tempera paint
- Scissors/X-Acto knife
- Ruler or any straight edge
- Needle and thread (optional)
Instruction will be provided through the Zoom platform. Students will need to have a webcam and the ability to download zoom on their computer, phone or tablet. Once you register for the class, you will be sent an e-mail with the Zoom URL before the class to use to log in to the class. Please provide a correct and viable e-mail address when registering as this is how you receive your link.