VisArts Call for Docent Applications for Spring 2019
For Spring 2019, VisArts is seeking volunteer docents to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Contemporary art can be challenging, and our goal for the VisArts docent program is to help visitors understand and engage with the artwork on view. Docents will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and interpreting and analyzing contemporary art. Additionally, docents will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies to facilitate in-gallery learning. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, meet gallery staff, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has artist studios, four art galleries, and additional art spaces and programs dedicated to contemporary art. Our exhibitions rotate every 4-6 weeks and are frequently reviewed in the Washington Post! Enjoy quality art without having to go to Washington, DC!
We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line.The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 2nd
Docent responsibilities include:
- Volunteering for at least one two-hour shift per week
- Attending three training sessions in January (see dates below)
- Attending five monthly meetings between January and May
- Leading tours of the galleries and artist studio spaces
- Engaging in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitoring the galleries
- Independently researching the rotating exhibitions and studio artists
- Able to commit to at least one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- Prior experience with art and art history
- If you do not have an art background, prior experience in public speaking
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
- December 2: Applications are due
- December 8 – December 23: In-person interviews on weekends
- December 23: Decisions will be made, applicants will be notified
- January 5, 6, and 12: Three two-hour Sunday training sessions
- January 13-May 26: Duration of the session
- Monthly Meetings will be based on majority docent availability
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out an application form (below), and provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, each to be submitted with the form.
We are open to making this position available for course credit or into an internship. Please email us at the address below.
To complete the application form click on the “DOCENT APPLICATION” button, below.
For questions, e-mail VisArtsDocentCoordinator@gmail.com